Red Flags – Questions for Parents (Arvedson, J., 2017)
- Are there signs of airway/respiratory problems? (illness, coughing, congestion, etc.)
- How long does it take to feed your child?
- Has your child lost weight or failed to gain weight?
- Does your child experience GI retching or vomiting?
- Are mealtimes stressful for child and/or caregiver(s)?
Developmental Feeding Milestones (adapted from Swigert, N., 1998, 2010; McCarthy, J., 2006)
- Nipple feeding via breast or bottle (nutritive suckling)
- Hand to mouth movements begin
- Hands on bottle during feeding
- Spoon-feeding and cup drinking introduced
- Holds bottle with both hands
- More upright posture during feeds
- Increased lip closure around spoons, cups
- Purees and semi-solids introduced via spoon
- Progression to self-feeding of “muchable” and “meltable” finger foods
- Vertical (munching) chewing pattern develops
- Rotary (circular) chewing pattern develops, vertical pattern fades
- Progresses to more diverse food tastes and textures
- Assists with spoon feeding, increased finger feeding of soft foods
- Independently holds cup with both hands
- Self-feeds with spoon
- Holds and tips bottles independently
- Primarily self-feeding
- Chews foods consisting of a variety of tastes and textures
- Uses forks and spoons
- Refines skills for independent self-feeding